- This event has passed.
“Contact” with Silvija Tomcik
1.9.2017 @ 19:00 - 3.9.2017 @ 17:00170€
a 5Rhythms weekend workshop (Waves level)
with Silvija Tomčik (Croatia)
Friday is an open evening also for those who can’t join us for the whole weekend. A warm welcome to both beginners and experienced dancers alike!
So often we long for contact outside of us, and so often we are left empty-handed and heavy-hearted. The 5Rhythms® practice brings us back to the beginning, anchoring this longing to be in touch back into our own moving bodies. In the Flowing rhythm, we learn to contact ourselves, over and over again, building that relationship as a foundation for any other.
“If you are not fascinated by your own dance, how is someone else supposed to be?”
– Gabrielle Roth
When we’re grounded and at home with ourselves, we have more courage to take risks and reach out in the Staccato rhythm to meet others. How do we get in touch with each other without physical touch? How do we make contact outside ourselves while maintaining contact inside? How do we keep moving while the other is moving as well, and perhaps not always in the same tempo or direction? Exploring our questions in the rhythm of Chaos, we surrender to not knowing. We dance the unpredictability of two energies meeting each other. we let 1+1 be 3 and even more… A whole weekend of being and dancing together will give us enough time for those spontaneous, effortless, and magical contacts, that are the gifts of the Lyrical rhythm. In Stillness, the invitation is to relax into awareness of how connected we already are – all breathing the same air and all our roots dancing together on the same Earth. The Stillness rhythm whispers: “We Are One”.
“On the dance floor, meeting strangers in the beat, you have the opportunity to rip off your mask and relax into the rhythm of connection.”
– Gabrielle Roth
Created by Gabrielle Roth and practiced by tens of thousands worldwide, 5Rhythms® is a philosophy, perspective, performance art, and a dynamic practice rooted in the principle that if you put the psyche in motion, it will heal itself. Wherever the 5Rhythms® are practiced, a community is born to dance, to sweat, to change, to support, and to provide a safe space for each of us to shatter the ego’s hold and awaken the juicy, unpredictable, fascinating, edge-walking, rock star part of ourselves that yearns to be free.
This workshop counts towards 5Rhythms® teacher training prerequisites.
Silvija Tomčik is a certified 5Rhythms® teacher (Waves and Heartbeat level) and member of the teaching staff of the 5Rhythms teacher training. Silvija has been organising 5Rhythms workshops for 20 years and teaching regularly both nationally in Croatia and internationally for the last 15 years. She brings her passion in a grounded way, teaching with clarity and imagination, blending humour with wisdom.
“I have worked with Silvija for years. She is an excellent teacher, co-facilitator, friend, mother, and human being. She embodies the five rhythms in a deep and profound way. She will take you all the way.”
– Jonathan Horan (Gabrielle Roth’s son and executive director of 5Rhythms® Global)
|Day||Timetable||Doors to the dance space open at:|
|Fri 1.9.||7 - 9.30 pm||6.30 pm|
|Sat 2.9.||11 am - 6 pm||10.30 am|
|Sun 3.9.||11 am - 5 pm||10.30 am|
|Ticket type||Early bird price (valid until 1 Aug)||Full price|
|Friday evening only||30€||40€|
All prices include VAT 10%
Theatre academy (Teatterikorkeakoulu), room 709, 7th floor
You will need:
- Comfortable clothing to move in
- Wear layers for both slower (cooler) and faster (hotter) phases of the dance
- Water bottle(s)
- Bare feet or dance slippers/shoes to move in
- An open mind and heart
- Lunch to share (Sat + Sun)
- Your own plate, mug, and cutlery (for those coming from abroad, we will provide for you!)
Terms and conditions / Cancellation policy:
By signing up for this workshop, you agree to the terms of cancellation below. You also confirm by signing up that you are participating at your own risk. 5Rhythms is not therapy and does not replace sessions with a licensed therapist or counsellor.
All registrations are binding.
All cancellations must be made in writing by email. When cancelling, you must give us your bank details (account holder name, BIC/SWIFT code and account number, in IBAN format if applicable; and also your address and your bank name and address), so that we can refund you the necessary amount according to our cancellation policy.
- Partial refund of your course payment. The closer you cancel to the course or workshop, the greater the cancellation fee (see below).
- Naming a replacement. We charge a 50€ cancellation/admin fee and the rest of the course fee will be reimbursed into the account you specify, if your replacement arrives and pays. You are responsible for this person who fills in for you, and for whether or not they show up. We do not take responsibility for no-shows. These changes must be made at the very latest two days (48 h) before the start of the workshop.
- Cancel your place by 1 August (1 month before the start of the workshop): we charge a 50€ cancellation fee and refund the remainder of what you paid into the account you specify.
- Cancel your place between 2 – 18 August 2017 (by two weeks before the workshop): we charge 50% of the workshop fee and refund the remainder of what you paid into the account you specify.
- After 18 August we will make refunds (unless you have someone to fill in for you, see above). With the exception of illness or other force majeure life events (doctor’s note required), you can cancel up to 30 Aug 2017 and we can refund 50% of the workshop fee. After 30 August we will not give refunds.